BabyCenter® presented “True Stories of the Modern Family” at SXSW 2016 on Saturday, March 12. Based off of the just-released white paper “Family Diversity Is the New Norm: 7 Best Practices for Brands to Connect With Today’s Parents” (available at www.babycentersolutions.com/sxsw), the two panels brought together eight top experts on representing the new face of family in TV and advertising to discuss the opportunities and challenges of this task to a packed house at the Hilton Garden Inn. You can track many of the comments on Twitter: #ModernFam and @MomInsights. For more from Jaybird Communications, visit www.jaybirdcom.com.
“Media’s New American Family: No Norman Rockwell”
- Moderator: Chloe Gottlieb (@chloalo) – Senior Vice President and Executive Creative Director, R/GA
- Samie Kim Falvey (@samiefalvey) – Executive Vice President, Comedy Development and International Scripted Development, ABC Entertainment Group
- A.J. Hassan (@ajhassan1) – Vice President, Creative Director, Leo Burnett
- Steve Levitan (@SteveLevitan) – Co-Creator and Executive Producer, ABC’s “Modern Family”
Description: Today’s average American family paints a very different portrait from the Rockwellian 1950s ideal – shifting from even just a decade ago. The demographics are rapidly changing, with Millennials bringing their own values to parenting and trumpeting them online via social media. BabyCenter brings together top experts to discuss the makeup, attitudes, and behaviors seen in modern families, offering insights into how media and brand advertising are reflecting this new paradigm – and spotlighting the implications and recommendations for marketers who want to reach this group successfully.
“The Scariest Word in Brand Advertising: Family”
- Moderator: Philip N. Cohen (@FamilyUnequal) – Professor, University of Maryland, and author of “The Family: Inequality, and Social Change”
- Vida Cornelious (@vidasays) – Executive Vice President and Chief Creative Officer, Walton Isaacson
- Jane Lacher (@Zenith_USA) – Executive Vice President, Strategy, Zenith
- Manoj Raghunandanan – Senior Marketing Director, Johnson & Johnson (U.S. Pain Franchise)
Description: With so many definitions of family, brand marketers and ad creatives walk a fine line as they try to mirror the different faces of family in today’s landscape: unmarried couples, single parents, LGBTQ, mixed race, adopted, and yes, hetero/married, too. Ad campaigns showcasing these various types of families have provoked both support and outrage. This panel of brand leaders, multicultural ad creatives, and media buyers will talk about the real-world rewards and challenges in portraying contemporary reflections of family, who’s doing this well, and how to navigate the social-media response.
About BabyCenter® LLC
BabyCenter is the world’s partner in parenting. The #1 pregnancy and parenting digital destination, BabyCenter reaches more than 45 million parents a month from every corner of the globe through its 11 owned and operated properties in 9 different languages. In the United States, 8 in 10 new and expectant moms online use BabyCenter each month. BabyCenter provides parents with trusted information, advice from peers, and support that’s Remarkably Right® at every stage of their child’s development. Products include websites, mobile apps, online communities, email series, social programs, print publications, and public health initiatives. BabyCenter also leverages its industry-leading audience engagement to provide unparalleled insights and innovative marketing solutions to the world’s top brands, retailers, and institutions. BabyCenter is also committed to improving maternal health globally, and, through its Mission Motherhood™ campaign, works closely with nonprofits, NGOs, and governments to help make motherhood safer for all women. BabyCenter LLC is a member of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies.
BabyCenter Press Contacts:
Laura Goldberg – firstname.lastname@example.org / 347-683-1859
Laurie Jakobsen – email@example.com / 917-697-2274